Specialist and Executive Officer
• Extensive background in written and oral communication. Award-winning writer, editor, interviewer, photographer, desktop publisher, Web designer. Excellent computer skills. Eye for composition, on paper and via camera lens.
• Port Townsend's 2008 Business Leader of the Year. Strong aptitude for business; 25 years of hands-on experience operating small businesses. Hired by business owners to ensure their success, via marketing, advertising, strategic message development and creation of collaterals. Social media manager, crisis communications strategist and information architect.
• Highly capable executive officer with strong leadership skills. Breathed new vitality into a struggling nonprofit association. Increased membership by 60 percent, doubled meeting attendance, changed public perception.
• Able to think quickly on feet, even when being eyed by a television camera. Personable, articulate, intuitive, intelligent. Accustomed to demanding deadlines and high-pressure situations. An effective debater. Cool in chaos.
• Ran for county commissioner in 2008, as an independent against an incumbent Democrat, in a liberal county, in the year of Obama. Would have won had 765 voters not just voted for my opponent's "D."
• Advocate and activist, with a life mission to make a profound difference in people's lives.
• Owner and creative talent, offering communications expertise for business and personal needs. Business marketing, strategic communications, writing, desktop publishing, public relations, websites, book development, photography (custom and stock), development of collaterals, branding, résumés, instruction (at local college and privately), public speaking and more.
• Contract with myriad businesses, in and out of Washington State. Guide businesses in successful marketing campaigns, including print, Web, social media and television exposure. Experienced in promoting musicians.
• Managed local political campaigns. Ensured a strong message was broadcasted via brochures, the Web, effective newspaper ads, personal appearances, forums and TV talk shows (producer and co-host). My own 2008 campaign was said to be the most professional to ever come out of Jefferson County.
• Since the mid-1990s, created most of the Chimacum School District's bond and levy campaigns informational brochures. Produce the school's award-winning Chimacum School Matters newsletter.
• In 2002, Cat's Eye Design was renamed Sandy Hershelman Designs to take advantage of strong existing name recognition within the local community. Website: SandyHershelman.com.
has appeared in numerous local, regional and national publications.
Award-winning journalist and photographer. Photos have graced magazine
covers. Co-taught a digital photography class at Washington State
University; also asked to teach PageMaker (computer software) and
newsletter production classes.
• Since 1998, an on-air interviewer for Port Townsend, Washington,
television station, PTTV 47. Covered elections and co-host town meetings, as
well as produced and co-hosted shows to spotlight political candidates.
Jefferson County Home Builders Association
2002 to 2012
• Devoted to promoting the building trades within Jefferson County, Washington. Effective in all aspects of running an HBA: public relations, marketing, government affairs, publications, budgeting, personnel management, website design and maintenance, strategic planning, event planning, networking, recordkeeping and accounting.
• Created and produced an effective newsletter, website and membership recruitment tools. Conducted recruitment classes. Operated as liaison to the local college for the HBA's nine-month-long residential carpentry class.
• Increased membership by 60 percent. Doubled attendance at monthly dinner meetings. Continued to work diligently—and effectively—at changing the negative public perception of the JCHBA into one of a positive community partner. Fought to secure and develop a Built Green® program for Jefferson County HBA.
• Developed and produced the JeffCo HomeShow™, which had a successful run 2008-2010. (It will return.)
• Secured seats on the WRIA 17 planning unit, critical areas ordinance and housing needs committees, EDC/Team Jefferson, and was a stakeholder in the Tri-Area sewer planning process.
• Elected 2007 chairman of the Washington State Executive Officers Council. Served as 2006 vice chair.
• Presented Effective HBA Websites at the 2006 National Association of Home Builders' EOC Seminar in Connecticut.
• Negotiated with the local business journal to publish the JCHBA monthly newsletter in its paper at no charge, increasing the exposure of the JCHBA's efforts to all registered businesses across two counties.
Port Hadlock, WA
partner in an electrical contracting firm. Was "the office," handling
all of the paperwork, accounting and human resources. Company closed
when my electrician partners joined the union (IBEW 46).
• Port Townsend, Washington, 2008 Business Leader of the Year. Also nominated in 2007.
• Peninsula Woman, May 2009, Peninsula Daily News
• Washington Newspaper Publishers Association "Better Newspaper Contest" awards for "Best Comprehensive Coverage," "Government Affairs," "General News Stories" and "Best Humorous Feature"
• First Place winner, 2006 & 2007 Web Page Contests, Washington State Fairs Association
• Paul Harris Fellow, 2006, Rotary Club of East Jefferson County
• Winner, 2003 and 2004 Rotary District 5020 Conference Newsletter Competition
• "Fort Worden Searchlight Tower" photo was chosen for Gatheringplace's 2001 Port Townsend calendar
• School Planning & Management awarded Chimacum School Matters its 1998 Community Relations Award
• "Lone Oarsman" photo was Best of Show in Seafirst's 1995 Faces of Washington competition
samples and references available upon request.
Bank of America
Port Townsend, Washington
Port Townsend, Washington
Wells Fargo Bank
Redding and Anderson,
Statue of Liberty Moving
Garden City Park, New
Bank of Lisle
|Downers Grove National
||Downers Grove, Illinois
|United States Naval
in real estate and installment loans, title insurance, fire and mortgage
insurance, electronic data processing, general ledger research, accounts
receivable, credit investigating, reception, payment processing,
collections and various secretarial duties. "Best Banker" awards
for sales and service.
Community Involvement: Past and Present
• Olympic Economic Development (board of directors)
• Port Townsend BPOE #317 (Elks)
• Port Townsend Chamber of Commerce
• Chimacum School District
• Jefferson County Masterminds (business think-tank)
• Soroptimist International of Port Townsend & East Jefferson Co.
• Habitat for Humanity of East Jefferson County
• Washington Coalition For Open Government
• Dove House Advocacy Services (board of directors, DV/SA)
• Rotary Club of East Jefferson County 2002-06; Paul Harris Fellow
• National Association of Home Builders' EOC Leadership & Management Seminars (week-long) 2005-07, 09-10
• Conflict Mediation (40 hours), Peninsula Dispute Resolution Center (Port Angeles, WA) 2004
• Internet Marketing, Washington State University, 2004
• Group Problem-Solving Initiatives: Build Communication, Conflict Resolution and Collaboration (seminar) 2004
• American Institute of Banking (Chicago, IL) 1977
• University of Illinois (Chicago, IL) 1975-76
• Park High School (Cottage Grove, MN) 1975
P.O. Box 521
Hadlock, WA 98339